There is no denying that dentists get a bad rep. For some of us, even the very thought of a visit to the dentist makes us cringe. However, even though going to the dentist isn’t something we usually like to hear (or say), it’s still vitally important for our oral and overall health. With regular dental visits, we can get the treatment and attention we need for healthy bits, gum, and teeth. If you or someone in Lakewood, CO you know avoids going to the dentist at all costs, read this and know you’re not alone.
Why We Don’t Like Visiting the Dentist
There are many reasons you might hesitate to visit the dentist, including:
- Cost: Cost is a major hesitation that causes us to avoid going to the dentist. Without knowing what’s wrong with our teeth, it’s difficult to estimate how much our visit and dental work is going to cost. However, even without dental insurance, it is far more expensive to avoid the dentist than it is to attend regular dental appointments. Regular checkups keep teeth healthy, so you avoid far more costly treatments down the road. In addition, some dentists in Lakewood offer annual in-house membership plans to help save you money.
- Dental anxiety or fear of instruments: If you suffer from fear of the dentist, whether it is due to bad memories, the instruments used, or anxiety in general, take the time to find a dentist in Lakewood who caters to patients with anxiety. Modern dentistry has come a long way and clinics focus on patient care and comfort as well as offering nitrous oxide for patients who are nervous about their appointments.
- Fear of needing dental work: As mentioned with cost, it’s difficult to know how much dental work you’ll need without going to the dentist. It’s safe to say that the longer you wait in between dental appointments, the more work your teeth will need.
- Busy schedule: We live in a go-go world, and it’s difficult to find time to go to the dentist. Thankfully, dentists offer accommodating schedules. And, some even offer virtual consultations so you can skip the waiting room and be seen right away. It just takes two appointments a year to maintain dental health and overall health, so it’s worth the time to ensure you’re as healthy as possible.
- Embarrassment: Some patients also feel embarrassed about the condition of their teeth. Your Lakewood dentist is here to help and never judge. To be honest, we’ve seen it all, and we’ve likely seen worse. There’s no judgment here. We have all been patients before and we know what it’s like!
As you can see, there are many reasons that we hesitate to visit the dentist. If we put it off for too long, though, it can be detrimental to our oral and overall health.
Problems That Arise By Waiting
When you avoid the dentist, you miss the cleaning you need to maintain dental health. Also, you increase the risk for serious oral health issues because your dental health isn’t being watched by your dentist. Bigger issues will arise which will cost more, cause more painful symptoms and also take more time to correct.
The longer you wait to see the dentist, the more serious your dental health issues are. And, the more pain you are likely to suffer. Modern dentistry uses advanced technology to make you comfortable during treatment. This includes the use of laughing gas, numbing agents and instruments that are less intrusive.
Let’s not forget the appearance of your smile. When you miss regular cleaning appointments, your teeth appear dingy and yellow, and your smile isn’t as bright as it could be. Regular dental care keeps your smile looking its best so you can feel confident in your appearance.
What’s Included in a Visit to the Dentist & Relaxation Options
There really is nothing to fear when it comes to your regular dental exams. Your dental doctor in Lakewood will conduct a painless exam and look at your teeth and gums. They will catch issues early to avoid serious things like gum infections and painful deep cavities. You will also receive an exam of your face, neck, and jawline for abnormalities and lumps that can indicate oral cancer.
Your dentist will also take X-rays to spot issues not detectable through your examination. That way, treatment can be provided should issues appear. Last but not least, you’ll have a professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar buildup that regular flossing and brushing can’t clean. If you are nervous about dental treatment, speak to your dentist about the options available including relaxation dental treatments.
As you can see regardless of your reasons to hesitate about visiting the dentist, it is always best to stick to your dental checkup regime.
Schedule your next appointment with Dr. Elizabeth Turner here and she’ll get to know you and evaluate your unique needs.
Interested in learning more about general dentistry services? Visit this page here.